Topic: Bike box in budget airline

Posted on: 3rd Jun 2013 12:24 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi people..

Has anyone tried travelling overseas in budget airline with your road bike in bike box  ?

I had called the airline, however they said the baggage is too big(length: 126cm, height: 77cm, depth: 22cm) and they might not accept the baggage to even board the plane. The staff over the phone, suggested to spilt the bike into 2 boxes. However, that is not economical for me.

Does anyone has similar experience and would like to share ? Your help would be greatly appreciated. =]

Regular Forumer
98 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
1) Focus
Posted on: 3rd Jun 2013 12:31 PM    Quote and Reply

I flied on JetStar with a standard size bicycle carton box. No problem... just pay for the 20kg luggage.

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd Jun 2013 12:37 PM    Quote and Reply

Same here have flown with Jetstar, Tiger and Airasia no problem. Just make sure you pay for the luggage when you book the ticket - it's much cheaper than paying for it at the airport.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 3rd Jun 2013 1:08 PM    Quote and Reply

I transported my recumbent from HK on Jetstar in 2 boxes.  I do not remember if there is a limit on the number of checked items as long as the total weight is below what is allowed, otherwise an extra charge may apply.

See this link for more information with regard to transporting bicycles with Jetstar:

http://www.jetstar.com/sg/en/planning-and-booking/baggage/bulky-items

I hope that helps. 

Regular Forumer
304 posts
Forum Rep: 5

Riding:
Posted on: 7th Jun 2013 10:32 PM    Quote and Reply

thanks guys !! 

Has anyone tried it with scoot? jus curious... cos im worried.. haha.. its my first trip for oversea race..  

Regular Forumer
98 posts

Singapore
Riding:
1) Focus
Posted on: 7th Jun 2013 10:34 PM    Quote and Reply

Cos Scoot is a relatively new airline... and their staffs that answer the calls seem to be unsure..... so im worried...

Regular Forumer
98 posts

Singapore
Riding:
1) Focus
Posted on: 10th Jun 2013 5:21 PM    Quote and Reply

i have travelled with scoot. flew into taiwan with a hard case. just need to buy sufficient baggage weight for the bike. 20kg should be just nice for bike+case.

Freshie Forumer
2 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Jun 2013 6:15 PM    Quote and Reply

The only issue I've ever had with an airline bike transporting was with SQ. At the SG check in the guy told me I had to completely deflate my tires as a safety precaution. I had just set them up tubeless with new tires and wasn't keen on going to find a compressor in the two days I had in Bangkok before flying on to Chang Mai. I asked why - planes are pressurised to equivalent of 7000 ~ 8000 ft I've taken tubeless tires up to 10000 feet and the tires didn't explode. I offered to drop them down to 15psi and politely pointed out that if a bike tire at 15psi can credibly bring a plane down then the plane probably shouldn't be in the air in the first place. The check in guy called his supervisor and after a 1/2 hour wait I was allowed to check the bike in with tires remaining at 25psi pressure

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts

Posted on: 10th Jun 2013 7:03 PM    Quote and Reply

The deflate tires rule is on all airlines so far as I know.

Regular Forumer
598 posts
Forum Rep: 15

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 10th Jun 2013 8:18 PM    Quote and Reply

There is no deflate tires rule - the rule is nothing pressurised (unless sold by trolly dollies and filled with butane, propane propellent or an alcohol CO2 mix) and it's pretty open to interpretation

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts

Posted on: 10th Jun 2013 8:25 PM    Quote and Reply

Hmm. What about air shocks then? do they check? 

I'm just here to tone my belly
Regular Forumer
741 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings