Topic: How Often U Change Your Road Tire

Posted on: 18th Sep 2007 8:37 AM    Quote and Reply

Guys... been like a freak when it comes to cycling especially replacing parts. I always change any parts on the 1st sign of wear n tear. The most often ones are the tire. This year alone i had retire 2 tire due to cuts and destroy one due to crash.

How often do you guys replace those tire? for me i'll replace them when cuts or holes from road debri starts to show even when the tire are quite brand new. Sometime i think i over do it but i juz feel insecure when riding knowing that there are cuts and holes on my tire. No matter how i try to avoid road debri sometime it's un-avoidable.

Sianz! to date i had spend more then $200 on tire alone this year. but i ride abt more then 200km a week. Do u think i'm suffering from some kind of disorder(tire changing paranoid)? How many of u here have same habit as me? Maybe had to speak to my psychiatrist abt this ha ha.

As i'm typing this, i'll need to replace my front tire this evening and it barely 3 mths old but i see cuts and scary holes... I used mostly conti and had a pair of Panaracer Extreme. Also, i left with one box of conti GP Force and Attack which comes in a package of a pair (Front & rear) but the front is in 700 x 22c and rear in 700 x 23c how many of you ride in this configuration? I'm cross matching my front this evening with a heavier Conti 700 x 22 c in front and light weight Pana Extreme 23c rear. Is it ok to cross mix brand and made?

Any advice are welcome
Senior Forumer
386 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 18th Sep 2007 11:26 AM    Quote and Reply

Bro... 

you have.... 

issues  :)

Go dig around the manufacturers or US websites with more detailed tire specs and see what the expected mileage should be.  If you're changing even before half of that....  guess you have money and rubber to burn.   Singapore roads are generally in pretty good condition, so est mileage should be even more unless you're really really heavy. 

Regular Forumer
1,720 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 18th Sep 2007 1:39 PM    Quote and Reply

Yah bro, u got probremz. Its called OCD, obsessive compulsive disorder. Hard to find girlfriend like dat. But if you are a havoc rider, that really rides on the performance edge, then i think its well worth it. A tyre with a great whacking hole in it, is the last thing you want on your mind when you're taking a screaming corner, downhill, at 80+kph.

That being said, i'm consider myself a 'gentlemen rider' [aka damn slow like fart], and i've done alot of miles with tyres that had 1mmx2mm gashes in them, till they flatted out eventually [tubulars]. I've always flatted when upright, never when leaned over in corners, so i don't think i will change my mindset as yet. I will remove embedded debris from my tyres, to ensure that they don't work into the inner tube. But i am considering epoxying the gashes, not that i'm think it'll do anything, but perhaps prevent debris from getting embedded again.

Regular Forumer
475 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 18th Sep 2007 2:00 PM    Quote and Reply

use Michelin Speedium...

I <3 Coffee!

Regular Forumer
2,412 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Philippines
Riding:
Posted on: 18th Sep 2007 2:17 PM    Quote and Reply

go use training tires lahz.... like speedium or u can try continental gatorskin,at one very good puncture resistant.... but quite heavy....

cycling,soccer,sleeping,jogging,betting soccer,watching anime(bleach and naruto)
Regular Forumer
641 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 18th Sep 2007 2:18 PM    Quote and Reply

ha ha u guys really make my day. Fudge, Yes i'll keep that brand in mind on my bike spare part shopping list. Michelin Speedium rite, i'll try tat after my 2 packs of new Conti. It'll be very soon ha ha

Ha ha yes Mixedccr i have that disorder... it's all jumble up even my psychiatrist can't tell whether i have bi-polar or OCD but my psychologist saaid i got BPD (Borderline Personality Dis-order) that's qite serious as she said my sudden burst of anger and energy will kill someone if not treated. Kill someone i'm not sure yet but energy yes i have alot always not tired out after workout but still want more and more pain. As for girlfriend, i have no problem getting one but have problem keeping them as i'm avoiding committments. hee...

I'm not a gentlement rider i wack whenever i could so that explain why... but i'm seriously underweight... 60kg at 1.75m... either i ride too much or i lost weight due to the drugs i take from my Doc. That's why i stop taking them and avoid my doc's call... tat also explain why something i dun understand what i did... till it's too late. really i'm not joking. I was seriously down and admited to a special hospital for ppl like me in April...

Senior Forumer
386 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 18th Sep 2007 2:22 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by idiort:

go use training tires lahz.... like speedium or u can try continental gatorskin,at one very good puncture resistant.... but quite heavy....

"

Yup Heavy is what i'm trying to avoid. i hate the feeling of being drop while on climb... even if i'm not leading the climb i'll try to make sure i'm not the last man in a climb. hee... I still like Panaracer Extreme Lite, very good climbing tire. at 190gm try it u'll love it

Senior Forumer
386 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 18th Sep 2007 3:20 PM    Quote and Reply

It really depends on what tires you are using. From my limited experience,  race tires which are lightweight and unthreaded have lifespan of 2000-3000km. Since you say you ride 200km a week, for 3 months it gives you about 2500km which is a probable lifespan for race tires.

$200 on tires isn't a good indication as some tires cost like $75 while those I'm using now cost $18 =)

Training tires like michelin speedium have lasted me about 5000km. But don't expect anything light...

I think cross mixing brands is fine except on the aesthetic level.

And my basis for changing tires is when they puncture due to road debris: ie small cuts in tire, which in the end result in flats due to a grain of sand pushing through and reaching the tube. Some old tires actually start to look like they are cracking (or wrinkled) too.

+8
Senior Forumer
164 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 18th Sep 2007 3:58 PM    Quote and Reply

if u keep using light tires,u wont improve in climbs.. try use heavy tires and train lohz... once u change to light tires,u may fly...

cycling,soccer,sleeping,jogging,betting soccer,watching anime(bleach and naruto)
Regular Forumer
641 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 18th Sep 2007 4:44 PM    Quote and Reply

Ya lor allan, use heavy and durable tires for your shimano training wheels lah.

Actually, I would just remove any debris on the tires on a weekly or biweekly basis and just keep using it.  Don't think it'll burst so easily lah...  

And I dont think 100g difference is that great.  I can't really feel the difference when I use my old 1.9kg cxp22 with ultegra hubs wheelset.   but thats me...

Regular Forumer
407 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 18th Sep 2007 6:37 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"I'm not a gentlement rider i wack whenever i could so that explain why... but i'm seriously underweight... 60kg at 1.75m... either i ride too much or i lost weight due to the drugs i take from my Doc. That's why i stop taking them and avoid my doc's call... "

Just my kampong medicine talking, but have you had a full biochemical work-up? In particular TSH, freeT4, free T3 (some metabolic indicators).

Whatever it is bro, keep it rubber side down, and change the damn tyre if you feel like it...theres nothing wrong. Another reason why i train by myself is that when i go 'gila', there will only be 1 person laughing at me....myself...

Regular Forumer
475 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings