Topic: 26th Nov Bintan Ride

Posted on: 15th Nov 2016 4:27 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi there,

I'm going to Bintan on 26th Nov to do a 140km ride (classic Gran Fondo route of Tour de Bintan 2017). 

Anyone would like to join me, or anyone who's already going, please feel free to PM. 

Time - 26th Nov 7am (Tentative).

Route - http://www.tourdebintan.com/routes/

Support car - Yes

Cost - Hotel & Ferry will be on your own, Fee for support car will be shared (85 bucks in total).

Regular Forumer
91 posts
Forum Rep: 10

Posted on: 15th Nov 2016 10:40 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi like to check with you on which tour agency you have engaged to support your ride?

Thanks in advance.

I have no respect for irresponsible drivers. Neither do I have any respect for irresponsible cyclists and pedestrians. Its not one rule for "them" and another rule for "us".
Regular Forumer
223 posts
Forum Rep: 22

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 16th Nov 2016 10:56 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by worldsofmind: Hi like to check with you on which tour agency you have engaged to support your ride?

Thanks in advance."

I'm using Indorent. It's not really a cycling supporting agent but just a car rental company. But they do provide such cycling support service with car&driver.

Regular Forumer
91 posts

Posted on: 16th Nov 2016 11:31 AM    Quote and Reply

I just did this route on my foldable a few months back.

You can consider dropping the support car, imo.
It adds to cost, and does not build up a spirit of self reliance.
Cars/motorbikes move thru the route, so there is little chance of really being stranded.

Just have the necessary spares (2 tubes, 1 folding tire, patch kit)
The roads are good imo, better than M'sia roads

Enjoy your trip.

Regular Forumer
91 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 16th Nov 2016 1:27 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by theexalted: I just did this route on my foldable a few months back.

You can consider dropping the support car, imo.
It adds to cost, and does not build up a spirit of self reliance.
Cars/motorbikes move thru the route, so there is little chance of really being stranded.

Just have the necessary spares (2 tubes, 1 folding tire, patch kit)
The roads are good imo, better than M'sia roads

Enjoy your trip. :)"

Thanks for the advice. 

I'll most likely be riding solo, and I'd like to focus on the course as a familirization of the race happening next March so will probably will still get the car.

May I know if you got any problem for the bike transportation? Did you use any sort of protector or did you get any damaged frame/groupset/anything? 

First time transporting to Bintan, a little bit concerned.

Regular Forumer
91 posts

Posted on: 16th Nov 2016 2:46 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"

Thanks for the advice. 

I'll most likely be riding solo, and I'd like to focus on the course as a familirization of the race happening next March so will probably will still get the car.

May I know if you got any problem for the bike transportation? Did you use any sort of protector or did you get any damaged frame/groupset/anything? 

First time transporting to Bintan, a little bit concerned."

Bike transport on ferry will be extra ($10, iirc).
I protested as mine was a folder that is the size of a luggage, but thats how the system is done up by Bintan Lagoon ferries. (so I suck thumb ...)

Handling is fine imo, since they push the bike to the ferry.
However, based on previous experience (been there for a few events), the bike can get splashed by sea water or dinged if other bikes lean on it.
YMMV, since you are going on a non-event time and there are no other bikes stacking with yours.
If you are concerned, maybe cover with a poncho and wrap vunerable areas with newspaper.
You can then throw the newspapers away on arrival and find some other equilvalent on the way back. (eg. newspapers, cheap mags and brochures, etc)

Very undulating roads, so pace yourself (sorry, not sure of your fitness).
At some points, I had to use my 'bail out' 28GI last cog to not suffer too much.
It was a loaded bike though.

Regular Forumer
91 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 16th Nov 2016 3:10 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by theexalted:
Quote:
"

Thanks for the advice. 

First time transporting to Bintan, a little bit concerned."

Bike transport on ferry will be extra ($10, iirc).
I protested as mine was a folder that is the size of a luggage, but thats how the system is done up by Bintan Lagoon ferries. (so I suck thumb ...)

Handling is fine imo, since they push the bike to the ferry.
However, based on previous experience (been there for a few events), the bike can get splashed by sea water or dinged if other bikes lean on it.
YMMV, since you are going on a non-event time and there are no other bikes stacking with yours.
If you are concerned, maybe cover with a poncho and wrap vunerable areas with newspaper.
You can then throw the newspapers away on arrival and find some other equilvalent on the way back. (eg. newspapers, cheap mags and brochures, etc)

Very undulating roads, so pace yourself (sorry, not sure of your fitness).
At some points, I had to use my 'bail out' 28GI last cog to not suffer too much.
It was a loaded bike though.

"

Again, thanks for the advice. 

I think I'm gonna buy a plug/play frame wrap and probably another chain cover just to be safe from sea water which is pretty scary (to cause rusts on metal parts).

Yep I reckon it's going to be challenging even though I have a 32 teeth largest cog climbing cassette, but that's the whole purpose of going there :P

Regular Forumer
91 posts

Login to see your Forum Rankings