Topic: Bike transport in ferry to bintan

Posted on: 21st Sep 2011 10:45 AM    Quote and Reply

Hello,
Need your advise again.  I'll be going to the Tour de Bintan.  I have no experience in carrying bike in a ferry.  How would i do it?  Wrap a bit, put it in a bike bag or just leave it as it is????
Freshie Forumer
8 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 21st Sep 2011 7:52 PM    Quote and Reply

Get a bike bag from CRC ard $80++ and pack it up. As I don't think they bike anyhow park. Haha

Cheap bikes isnt good, good bike isnt cheap...

Good Bike + Good Rider = GOD
Good Bike + Lousy Rider= Actor
Ok Bike + Good Rider = Superb
Lousy Bike + Lousy Rider = Worst than Dog.

This is just a simple Algebric Equation.
Regular Forumer
58 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 21st Sep 2011 8:13 PM    Quote and Reply

Thanks carbonmad!!! Think it's better to pack it a bit. Cheers!!

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 21st Sep 2011 8:14 PM    Quote and Reply

I have cycle there once and for the bike you have to pay ten dollars more.
The bike will in their charge and all loose part have to be dismantled for loosing
or dropping .The risk of getting you bike scratch are high cos they just stack all bikes
together.

Freshie Forumer
2 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 21st Sep 2011 9:38 PM    Quote and Reply

Thanks badaang. Yup, I called them and they said the bike have to be checked in. So I suppose removing of loose parts and some degree of protection are required. Anyway now it's 24$; two way return. Haha!

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Oct 2011 3:26 PM    Quote and Reply

It is better to use a cycle packing bag. Instead of just carrying it.

arlington boot camp
Freshie Forumer
2 posts

United States
Posted on: 5th Oct 2011 10:32 AM    Quote and Reply

I agree with u Nani.  maybe should spent sometime and some $$$ to look for a simple bike bag.

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 9th Oct 2011 10:18 AM    Quote and Reply

hi all,
me and my buddies will be taking part in TDB for the first time too...we were contemplating packing the bike in a bike bag too. Just wondering if we checked the bikes in, and it got stored in the general cargo area, will that be more detrimental to the bikes? eg potential of it being thrown and squished amongst the general cargo?

just wondering if we used simple bubble wrap or something on the main parts of the frame and wheeled the bike in as it is...maybe use cheaper wheels for 'transportation purposes'?

any experienced folks care to share their thoughts? many thanks in advance

Regular Forumer
13 posts

Posted on: 14th Oct 2011 3:18 PM    Quote and Reply

hi, i am a frequent cyclist in Bintan.
I love riding the long quiet roads there every month.

Unfortunately one my trips ended up scratching my beloved horsey.

this happened in the port are of SG. it was mishandled when they are transporting the bicycle via a small lorry from the terminal to the jetty. There are considerable scratches on the stays and fork also. :(
This had no protection and just rolled the bike in the check-in area.

You can opt a bikebag but cumbersome. prob with bikebag is that they will mishandle the bag more.
heavy bags are most likely thrown and tossed. Got my shifter damaged via this one. Luckily I was able to do a Mcgyver on a temporary solution using a chopstick and was able to ride Bintan.

Another option is a bikebox. I tried this one but it was very hard to carry especially after racing or riding the long ardous miles of Bintan. All in your mind is to relaxxxxxx. My bikebox ended up with lots of scratches and broken lock and broken roller. :(

Another way is to use a bubble wrap on your bike with some masking tape to hold it apart. tried this and found it very cumbersome wrapping your bike each time you send it for check in. Especially when going back to SG. All in your mind is to relaxxxxxxx after doing the torturous terrain. And you need alot of bubble wrap to cover all your frameset (trust me on this).

Best solution is to just use your old beater bike. Your old alum or steel bike :D

Another less best solution is to buy a frame protector held by velcros.
Which I use now and seen here.

its compact when packed (the protectors come with the bag) and occupies a small portion in the backpack. Price for me is quite okay. I dont care about the price as long as my precious horsey is protected.

>> sorry for writing a novel here. but i hope this helps in choosing the correct option for you.

http://www.cyclingsolutions.biz
Regular Forumer
313 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Posted on: 14th Oct 2011 3:26 PM    Quote and Reply

and yes i paid around 20dollars (two-way) to have my bike scratched

http://www.cyclingsolutions.biz
Regular Forumer
313 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Posted on: 14th Oct 2011 5:50 PM    Quote and Reply

Thanks ryanfloresmejia!!! The wrap looks quite cool. Where can I get those???

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings