Topic: Knee Injury - Bike Fitting?

Posted on: 11th Apr 2010 9:42 PM    Quote and Reply

I am currently recovering from a right knee injury - minor swelling (subsided) and popping sound when I flex my knee fully.

Doc suspects that it could be due to overstrain or bike setup. I was wondering if a bike fitting session would help.

Does anyone have any experience and recommendations for my injury/bike fitting?

Thanks!
Freshie Forumer
9 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Apr 2010 10:03 PM    Quote and Reply

It does you no harm to check on your bike fit. There are a handful of websites that can help

Regular Forumer
6,165 posts
Forum Rep: 40

Singapore
Posted on: 16th Apr 2010 11:03 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi,

I went to a bike fitter receently to try to solve my neck sore problems.  Quite impressive fitting process which did solve my neck sore.

However, as with most other industries out there, the players bitch about each others practices and/or believes in fitting and/or modification believes.  I was told it is bike fitting is an art and not science.  I beg to differ while I do believe it is as much an art and a science, not exact science though.

Anyway having said that, after solving my neck problems I have developed some knee strains which I have never had.  This is most probably due to the wedges which the fitter fitted to my shoes.  TO be fair, he did mention that my glutes and hamstrings are relatively weak and my knees weren't tracking straight when I paddle.

Will most probably go to another fitter to get a 2nd opinion as knee tracking straight is very crucial and I certainly not want to risk long term injuries.

In short, I would recommend bike fitting which will not only make sure that you are comfortable on the bike, it helps to eliminate potential injuries which may develop due to ill fit on the bike.

Cheers.

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 20th Apr 2010 7:36 PM    Quote and Reply

I believe bike fitting first priority is to avoid accidents, next injuries, third comfort and efficient cycling. All must be done at the same time. Missing anyone of them is fruitless, as you are like without bike fit done

Knees injuries after bike fit done could have been the saddle height, crank length, both, or exceptionally longer legs

Anyone with wiser ideas to share?

Regular Forumer
6,165 posts
Forum Rep: 40

Singapore
Posted on: 22nd Apr 2010 1:52 PM    Quote and Reply

Some information about what a fit should include

http://www.elitebicycles.com/tech_fit_1.php

Freshie Forumer
2 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 19th May 2010 5:38 PM    Quote and Reply

Im a firm believer of bike fitting. Riding is a continous and rotating action that goes on for hours. If the bike is not fitted right, long term injuries can and will develop, not to mention any other physical discomforts while riding.
Getting a bike fit should be the very first thing new or even experienced riders should do.
Advantages includes,
-knowing the actual bike size and set up for you, so if you are in the market for a new bike, dan you can make the right choice in size.
- prevent any potential injuries to you - esp if you intend to take up riding seriously and will be putting in the mileage.
- improve your riding posture and also your riding timing and endurance. With a proper fitted bike, you can go longer distance with less discomfort and even ride faster.

That said, since we will all improve with continuos riding and hard work, you may need to return for another fitting once you feel you have developed more flexibility and have difference riding goals.
Its a continuous process and will prob need more tweaking in time to come.

I bike fit all my new bikes, even if i know the configurations, i still prefer to leave it to the expertso on my bike set up.

Plus, some fitters really charge very reasonalble rates....

Cheers n happy riding

Regular Forumer
19 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 19th May 2010 6:56 PM    Quote and Reply

Guys,

Appreciate all your advice and sharing! Btw, do you have any particular bike fitters to recommend?

Cheers

Freshie Forumer
9 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 20th May 2010 12:30 PM    Quote and Reply

I use Bike Labz look for Mr Chai.
If you goggle the name, you will get more info.
Cheers
Stefan

Regular Forumer
19 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 26th May 2010 4:11 PM    Quote and Reply

online fitting can also help at some point.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

http://www.cyclingsolutions.biz
Regular Forumer
313 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Posted on: 29th Dec 2010 3:16 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi I recently have my bike fit done by Mave Goh at Soon Watt. He has a laser device that can measure how much lateral move on your knees during cycling. Excessive lateral movement of your knees can cause injuries and it can be reduced through adjustment of your shoes.

Regular Forumer
27 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 12th Jul 2011 3:45 PM    Quote and Reply

I also have had some kind of injury in my  ankle and that is much painful time for me...
I have made fully and properly treatment and medication than got better and heal that
one pain ...

ab workouts for women without equipment
Freshie Forumer
5 posts

United States
Login to see your Forum Rankings