Topic: Bike chain cleaner

Posted on: 19th Apr 2014 10:15 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi guys, recently i noticed that my whole drivetrain is pretty much covered in dust and dirt and all that bad stuff so i want to buy one of those chain cleaner machines with the brushes inside that turn. anyone knows where to get a good quality one for not too expensive? btw, any tips on how to clean my cassette without dismantling? thanks
Regular Forumer
11 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 19th Apr 2014 10:35 PM    Quote and Reply

Hopefully this can help.
I regularly sprayed RP7/WD-40 onto the chain/cassette.
Rotate the crank while holding a used toothbrush to brush the chain.
Wiping the chain/jockey wheels/cassette, next, with cloth. Repate if I not satisfied with the result.

Regular Forumer
6,165 posts
Forum Rep: 40

Singapore
Posted on: 20th Apr 2014 12:17 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891: Hopefully this can help.
Wiping the chain/jockey wheels/cassette, next, with cloth. Repate if I not satisfied with the result."

Are you using WD-40 to clean or to lube?

Have a safe & enjoyable ride!

Regular Forumer
719 posts
Forum Rep: 35

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 20th Apr 2014 1:40 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by ckboon:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891: Hopefully this can help.
Wiping the chain/jockey wheels/cassette, next, with cloth. Repate if I not satisfied with the result."

Are you using WD-40 to clean or to lube?"
RP7 is cheaper for disolving the gum, in order to do the chain cleaning. There could be minimal lubrication property in it too. But I apply the $2/- chain lubricant from Diaso (better than cyclinder oil).

Regular Forumer
6,165 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 21st Apr 2014 8:53 PM    Quote and Reply

Never use WD-40 anywhere near your drivetrain. It's a total no-no for as long as I can remember.

To the OP, right now, ChainReactionCycles is having free shipping to SG so you can grab one from Park Tools or some other brand off of their site.

Alternatively, get a good degreaser such as from Finish Line, a toothbrush that you no longer want, some cloth, and a bunch of newspapers. Lay the papers down flat and scrub every bit of your drivetrain with the toothbrush and degreaser.

Then, get an appropriate lube for your riding conditions and re-lube the drivetrain. Easy-peasy. 

Regular Forumer
598 posts
Forum Rep: 15

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 21st Apr 2014 10:05 PM    Quote and Reply

The normal WD 40 is bad for chains because it is very corrosive. On the other hand, it is good for rust removal. If your chain is in such bad condition and totally rusted, WD 40 helps. WD 40 have released their line of bike products. I haven't tried it yet but if anyone used it before, please share your experience.

Personally I used finishline speed clean degreaser. It comes in a yellow aerosol spray can. It is the fastest but expensive way to clean your chain. This product evaporates off very quickly so the chain will be dry and clean in seconds. The chain is so clean that when a new coat of lubricant is applied there is no black residue flowing out of the chain from leftover dirt. Take note that the spray is quite powerful and the dirt will be sprayed out making a huge mess to clean up later. Best to do it outdoors. 

Regular Forumer
343 posts
Forum Rep: 15

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 21st Apr 2014 11:18 PM    Quote and Reply

There is a shop at Vertex in Ubi call RC Modelling I think, just beside the S-Work bike shop. They sell the thing you wanted with resonable price. Dun bring your credit card or you will be tempted to buy those ego problem solving bike there, as Giant, Cannodale, Scott, etc bike shop are there! Buahahahahahaha

Regular Forumer
35 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 22nd Apr 2014 4:20 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by trek790: Never use WD-40 anywhere near your drivetrain. It's a total no-no for as long as I can remember.

To the OP, right now, ChainReactionCycles is having free shipping to SG so you can grab one from Park Tools or some other brand off of their site.

Alternatively, get a good degreaser such as from Finish Line, a toothbrush that you no longer want, some cloth, and a bunch of newspapers. Lay the papers down flat and scrub every bit of your drivetrain with the toothbrush and degreaser.

Then, get an appropriate lube for your riding conditions and re-lube the drivetrain. Easy-peasy. "
Ever tried using WD-40 penetrant for chain lubrication after the chain cleansing, for short distance races . Impressive podium results . But that may had to do with chain elongation/replacement after some 30K Km ?

Regular Forumer
6,165 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 22nd Apr 2014 11:53 AM    Quote and Reply

WD-40 will caused the chain to develop dead link. Something to do with its water discplacement property causing the chain to dry up. If want to use, just spray lightly on a cloth and wipe the chain. After that clean it off with soap water. Never spray directly on the chain.

I did this to my bicycle and motorcycle chain and dead link developed in a rather short time. Causing me to change the chain.

Now I stick to keorsene or diesel as they are cheap but troublesome to get. Not to mention smelly. Maybe I will try the finishline speed chain degreaser. 

Regular Forumer
40 posts
Forum Rep: 4

Singapore
Posted on: 22nd Apr 2014 7:16 PM    Quote and Reply

I use either simple green or mama lemon

Regular Forumer
11 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Apr 2018 1:40 PM    Quote and Reply

Hello Guys!

Where you can find the perfect and good quality one for not to expensive? It is a total no-no for as long as I can remember. For further details. SB Cleaning Services

Freshie Forumer
1 posts

Login to see your Forum Rankings