Topic: Cassette removal tool

Posted on: 13th Feb 2013 5:17 PM    Quote and Reply

Get a whole set of tools at Hup Leong for about $80. It will allow you to perform a complete bike installation/servicing except headset press and crown race installation. 

Regular Forumer
90 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 13th Feb 2013 5:34 PM    Quote and Reply

I bought my X-Tools from CRC too very handy. The other good tool you migh want to have is a torq wrench, especially for the carbon parts 

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Stiffler: Below $30, difficult. You need a chainwhip, a cassette lockring removal tool, and maybe a pair of adjustable pliers to grip onto the tool.

Buy the X-Tools 18 pcs toolbox from Chainreactioncycles for about $70 + shipping or Bike Hand 18 pcs toolbox locally for about $80. Both will contain all the basic tools needed, including allen keys, spoke wrench, bb removal tool, crank remover, lockring removal tool, chain whip, cone wrench, etc.

I got my Bike Hand set from L&T in Tampines. Tampines Giant also sells them but last I checked they were out of stock. Parkway Giant does not carry the toolbox.  "

Regular Forumer
393 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Riding:
Posted on: 13th Feb 2013 7:44 PM    Quote and Reply

Got a spare cassette removal tool to let go at $10.00

if you are interested sms 92336762

Thanks  

Freshie Forumer
4 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 13th Feb 2013 8:22 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Zappadeedoohdah: RBC that sounds like hard work - lockrings are supposed to be torqued up to 35Nm ish. would imagine it was  hard to shift with pliers

James - for Shimano SRAM cassettes a Park tool FR 5 or similar Shimano version and a chain whip. Hup leong sell that kind of stuff worth giving them a call. Or Kiats marketing at Aljunied carry park tools

I don't like the cheap lockring removers - they tend to be made out of thicker metal and don't fit between the lockring and axel on a lot of hubs in my Experience

Cheapest option will probably to bring the new cassette and wheel to LBS and ask them to install for you; should be free from the shop you got the cassette from otherwise $5~$10 something like that I would imagine"

Many thanks. The one I easily removed with circlip plier was found to be loosen by road vibrations (went over many potholes...). The lockring can be further self-tighten as we pedal the bike.

Regular Forumer
6,169 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 13th Feb 2013 8:32 PM    Quote and Reply

Eh... The lockring will not tighten as you pedal... It's screwed on like a traditional freewheel but the chain does not pull the lockring clockwise to "tighten" it cos there's no contact between the chain and lockring. 

I'm just here to tone my belly
Regular Forumer
741 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 13th Feb 2013 9:24 PM    Quote and Reply

Should specify if it's a Campy or Shimano/Sram specs.

Regular Forumer
758 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 14th Feb 2013 10:56 AM    Quote and Reply

The best i reckon wld be at changi village, though at end of east still worth the trip.
The shop where they have hardware stuffs next to hawker centre.
From tiny ball bearings, washers to spanners to wheels to tires...
Look for Clement or Wendy(sis)
Reasonably priced too. 

Regular Forumer
32 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 14th Feb 2013 11:24 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Stiffler: Eh... The lockring will not tighten as you pedal... It's screwed on like a traditional freewheel but the chain does not pull the lockring clockwise to "tighten" it cos there's no contact between the chain and lockring. "

You are right. I mistaken for the freewheel securing method. Now I have some idea the nosie when I cycled this morning. 

Regular Forumer
6,169 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 14th Feb 2013 11:25 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by ibis: The best i reckon wld be at changi village, though at end of east still worth the trip.
The shop where they have hardware stuffs next to hawker centre.
From tiny ball bearings, washers to spanners to wheels to tires...
Look for Clement or Wendy(sis)
Reasonably priced too. "

+1. I mean the goods in the shop.

Regular Forumer
6,169 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 14th Feb 2013 1:03 PM    Quote and Reply

Many years ago, i bought a small box of bike tools called "Bikehand" and it have served me very well till today. It has a casette tool, a chain-whip which also server as a pedal wrench. A chain breaker, a spoke tool and crank extractor (for internal BB).

I have seen it selling at Giant supermart sometime last year while browsing the bike accessories department. Cost, I think is below $50.

Senior Forumer
160 posts

Login to see your Forum Rankings