Topic: Cassette removal tool

Posted on: 13th Feb 2013 2:14 AM    Quote and Reply

Anyone knows where I can get the rear cassette removal tool? Any cheap one that works will do. Preferably ard amk area. 
Regular Forumer
197 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
1) Aleoca
Posted on: 13th Feb 2013 4:20 AM    Quote and Reply

Last night, I removed one Shimano Ultegra cassette for replacement with a circlip plier. Circlip plier can be bought at hardware shop, some DIY shop, too.

Regular Forumer
6,169 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 13th Feb 2013 11:19 AM    Quote and Reply

RBC that sounds like hard work - lockrings are supposed to be torqued up to 35Nm ish. would imagine it was  hard to shift with pliers

James - for Shimano SRAM cassettes a Park tool FR 5 or similar Shimano version and a chain whip. Hup leong sell that kind of stuff worth giving them a call. Or Kiats marketing at Aljunied carry park tools

I don't like the cheap lockring removers - they tend to be made out of thicker metal and don't fit between the lockring and axel on a lot of hubs in my Experience

Cheapest option will probably to bring the new cassette and wheel to LBS and ask them to install for you; should be free from the shop you got the cassette from otherwise $5~$10 something like that I would imagine

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 13th Feb 2013 12:53 PM    Quote and Reply

Yep my LBS did it for $3.00

Regular Forumer
1,144 posts
Forum Rep: 24

Riding:
Posted on: 13th Feb 2013 1:06 PM    Quote and Reply

just purchase a cassette tool. lockring plus chainwhip would cost u less than 30 bucks.

or u could do like what other togopart members suggested which is to bring to the shop (something which i find very troublesome when a 1min job could be done at home if u purchase ur own tools )

Juz my 2 cents

Freshie Forumer
6 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 13th Feb 2013 1:21 PM    Quote and Reply

Thanks bros for all the input. Will get one of the tools from the shops when i pass by. Usually one ave set will cost less than $30? 

Qoute: James - for Shimano SRAM cassettes a Park tool FR 5 or similar Shimano version and a chain whip. Hup leong sell that kind of stuff worth giving them a call. Or Kiats marketing at Aljunied carry park tools

Where is Hup Leong? 

Regular Forumer
197 posts

Singapore
Riding:
1) Aleoca
Posted on: 13th Feb 2013 1:34 PM    Quote and Reply

Blk 51 chin swee rd nearby subordinate court. at the most corner there.

Regular Forumer
1,341 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 13th Feb 2013 1:34 PM    Quote and Reply

Hup Leong is at Chin Swee road - but a park tool or Shimano Chain whip / lockring tool is going to be $50+ I would imagine I got mine from CRC and it was $45 for a park tool chain whip and Shimano lockring tool.

There is a place at upper thomson / Tagore called Hiap Guan metal industries that sells cheaper ones 'Super B from Taiwan' a mate bought a basic bike tool kit that covers most basic maintenance tasks for about $70 from them. Not sure whether they sell the tools seperately - phone them and ask. It aint park tool quality but if you are not using it a lot should be OK.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 13th Feb 2013 1:39 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by cookieboyz: just purchase a cassette tool. lockring plus chainwhip would cost u less than 30 bucks.

or u could do like what other togopart members suggested which is to bring to the shop (something which i find very troublesome when a 1min job could be done at home if u purchase ur own tools )

Juz my 2 cents"

Bro where can i get it at below $30? any brand or just normal kind? 

Regular Forumer
197 posts

Singapore
Riding:
1) Aleoca
Posted on: 13th Feb 2013 1:49 PM    Quote and Reply

33 vertex, ubi ave 3. A shop selling remote control models got selling bike accessories and tools from taiwan. can try, good luck.

Regular Forumer
1,341 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 13th Feb 2013 2:42 PM    Quote and Reply

Below $30, difficult. You need a chainwhip, a cassette lockring removal tool, and maybe a pair of adjustable pliers to grip onto the tool.

Buy the X-Tools 18 pcs toolbox from Chainreactioncycles for about $70 + shipping or Bike Hand 18 pcs toolbox locally for about $80. Both will contain all the basic tools needed, including allen keys, spoke wrench, bb removal tool, crank remover, lockring removal tool, chain whip, cone wrench, etc.

I got my Bike Hand set from L&T in Tampines. Tampines Giant also sells them but last I checked they were out of stock. Parkway Giant does not carry the toolbox.  

I'm just here to tone my belly
Regular Forumer
741 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings