Topic: Lights for night cycling

Posted on: 1st Jul 2010 8:31 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi guys,
Am looking for Bright lights for night Cycling(Road Bike)
Hope you guys could recommend me some, and hope you guys could give me a rough pricing.
Thanks guys
Cheers
Regular Forumer
36 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Jul 2010 9:19 AM    Quote and Reply

Blackburn Mars 4.0.

Damn bright LED, good secure mount, orange side LEDs, 2 AAA batteries. Good battery life. Rough pricing $40~.

Regular Forumer
67 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Jul 2010 9:43 AM    Quote and Reply

Quark Mini 123 + Light mount 189 lumens. Multi purpose light, rather than just mount on your bike. $70ish

Regular Forumer
454 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 1st Jul 2010 11:43 AM    Quote and Reply

S-Sun Eaglefly 9 LED rear lights.  $30 using 2 AAA battery.  Superbright.

Regular Forumer
304 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Jul 2010 12:10 PM    Quote and Reply

i would say blackburn mars is good.. if u don't wanna get the 4.0 there's also 3.0 which i'm personally using.. no complains about it...about 30bucks if i'm not wrong..

for front light... if u're not too fussy about looks i'd recommend s-sun aka iluminox or something less than 30bucks but can really see from far..

Regular Forumer
455 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 1st Jul 2010 12:29 PM    Quote and Reply

In additon to lights, advisable to wear bright / reflective clothing.  Then if batteries fail still have some backup

Caveat : I happen to be selling off some leftover reflective stickers.

Regular Forumer
462 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Jul 2010 1:33 PM    Quote and Reply

For convenience without having extra batt packs and wires, the blackbrun mars and planetfish etc are bright but this one beats them all imo

. so irritatingly bright, I was cursing and swearing behind one for 40km just 2 nites ago. But that means it works if u want to be seen. Esp when out alone, this will be good for visibility.

http://bikes-bikes-bikes.blogspot.sg/
Regular Forumer
4,854 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 1st Jul 2010 1:43 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by anvil: For convenience without having extra batt packs and wires, the blackbrun mars and planetfish etc are bright but this one beats them all imo

. so irritatingly bright, I was cursing and swearing behind one for 40km just 2 nites ago. But that means it works if u want to be seen. Esp when out alone, this will be good for visibility.

"

Agree with you, u can be temporary blinded if you look into the light.  I have this, it is S-Sun L121R.  But have to mount with switch pointing towards the ground to prevent switching off when ride is bumpy. 

I have used S-Sun Eaglefly and already very bright, but this L121R is even brighter.  No other brands can beat it.  Even the blind can see the light.   Available at Gee Hin Chan.

Regular Forumer
304 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Jul 2010 1:50 PM    Quote and Reply

Get those yellow vest worn by workers doing roadworks.  Cannot go wrong with wearing it, sure can be seen.

Regular Forumer
304 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Jul 2010 2:16 PM    Quote and Reply

digi, thx for the switch tip..

apart from the fact that the L12 is bright which is good,  i just need one for my bikes that uses adjustable seatpost and therefore can only mount lite under seat.

On all my other rides i just bought extra mounts and rotate one rear lite to keep from having too many lying around the housel.

Regular Forumer
4,854 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 3rd Jul 2010 12:51 AM    Quote and Reply

unless on a commuting rig. Else 140L is a little impractical with a separate batt pack.

Front irritatingly bright is ok, doesnt blind the rear directly and that one ward off oncoming and perpendicular traffic

But over powered rear lite is more for solo riding imo. Close pack would be of more danger than good. Dun forget we old farts are all getting too much astig in the eyes by now. Going at ~40s its easy to clip with a slightest distraction :D

Regular Forumer
4,854 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings

Your quickest cycling fix with comprehensive marketplace and exciting virtual challenges.