Topic: How to connect Polar AXN 500 to Laptop?

Posted on: 28th Feb 2007 2:53 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi folks,

wondering if anyone using this watch. I tried based on the instruction but still unable to connect to Polar AXN 500 via laptop's built in infra red. Do we need to buy Polar specific IrDA in order to transfer data? I understand that this is not necessary for this watch but not sure why I can't transfer..

Anyone knows?

Freshie Forumer
7 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Feb 2007 8:50 AM    Quote and Reply

Have you switched on the IR device under your 'Device Manager' of your "Control Panel" under windows?

Lor Sor Forumer
523 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Feb 2007 12:29 PM    Quote and Reply

You do not need the Polar IrDA device, BUT, you will have to make sure that you build-in IR port is a two-way port, and not a one-way one on certain laptops, such as the MacBook which act only as a receiver for the remote control.

I am not too sure about this bit, i think there are firmware patches or something similar that can flash the port to make them two-way. Can someone enlighten us on this?

Senior Forumer
132 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Feb 2007 1:37 PM    Quote and Reply

Anyone knows the solution. This is disappointing coming from Polar. I thought only Suunto has this problem

I went to their service centre but no one seem to know a thing wrt this problem. It works with their USB IrDa plug in thru. This is really silly if I have to buy a 80 bucks IR transmitter for my laptop....

BTW the problem is the same for RS800 as well. I tried on two laptop for AXN 500 and shows this problem.

Anyone knows?

My default Internal IrDA is SMSC. Tried searching for patch but in valid.

Freshie Forumer
7 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Feb 2007 2:52 PM    Quote and Reply

A generic USB Ir port is about $20-25/-, so perhaps that is one way out from the $80 Polar one. I use one for my PC with S710i,so far so good. (that is almost 3 years)

Lor Sor Forumer
523 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Feb 2007 2:57 PM    Quote and Reply

I'm not sure if this will help but I bought a generic IRDA which did not work with my RS800 and then I borrowed another generic IRDA from a friend which seemed to work and so I bought the same model as his and didn't have problems after that.  It costs $15 and available from Keypoint at Beach Rd, sorry don't have the IRDA model with me.

I didn't have any problems transmitting from my IBM notebook's IRDA.  Generic IRDA doesn't seem to work with the older Polar models like S710 (the S710i has some enhancements which seem to rectify this problem) but I know some people seem to have that working too.

I have an obsolete Polar transmitter (doesn't work with RS800, bummer) which I can loan you and if that works for you, I'm willing to let go at generic IRDA price.

Too much sex
Lor Sor Forumer
480 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 28th Feb 2007 10:06 PM    Quote and Reply

Thanks for the response. I know about generic IrDA. The concern is about compatiable given that even built in IrDA also got problem.. will be surprise if they even support generic ones. The sadest thing is that they don't even know which one polar is compatiable and which is not.. plus reason why it is not compatiable(e.g. what wrong protocol used etc). IR is an ancient technology and still with this problem..haiz..

If worst case, to save all the pain, might have to buy the Polar IrDA. My concern is that it is really dumb having carry around a IrDA transmitter with a laptop.

Anyone using any specific brand generic IrDA transmitter that does not have any problem with Polar AXN or RS series HRM? If it is cheap cheap. Probably can buy one... and try.

Wild Cat: Keypoint is the name of the shop? Probably I could buy one. From the shop to try since it is quite cheap. U got photo of it?

Freshie Forumer
7 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Feb 2007 10:37 PM    Quote and Reply

http://www.houseofmouse.com.sg/Accessories/IrDa-Wireless-Bridge1.jpgIs this the model that is ok?

Freshie Forumer
7 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Mar 2007 12:46 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by alexgnp:

http://www.houseofmouse.com.sg/Accessories/IrDa-Wireless-Bridge1.jpgIs this the model that is ok?

"

Err... that's the model that I bought originally that DIDN'T work.  Anyway if you go to Polar, surely can't expect them to recommend anything other than Polar products right?  It's not like they really can be too bothered to find out which generic products work or not.  Just like Microsoft can't be bothered with OpenOffice problems, even if they run on Windows.

Too much sex
Lor Sor Forumer
480 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 1st Mar 2007 12:48 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by alexgnp:

Wild Cat: Keypoint is the name of the shop? Probably I could buy one. From the shop to try since it is quite cheap. U got photo of it?

"

http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel/travel/travel.php?travel_id=4622&travel_site=15523

Too much sex
Lor Sor Forumer
480 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 1st Mar 2007 1:10 AM    Quote and Reply

I just bought the original Polar USB IRDA device to cut down on the short term downtime running all over the place.

Just skimp on one chain or two, it'd be recovered back.

And of course... change the chain when it's 0.75% worn out please! 

'ShutterBugger'
2,137 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings