Topic: Presta valve came undone with valve cover, urgent help needed!

Posted on: 10th Jun 2019 7:40 PM    Quote and Reply

I was trying to inflate my bicycle tires today when I realized that my front valve cover had corroded. I tried using pliers to take it off. After putting in some elbow grease. I managed to remove the valve cover, However, It came out with the presta valve thing (I don't know the correct term). I was wondering what I would have to do to fix the issue. I was thinking of getting a new tube. Any suggestions welcome. The wheelset is a Mavic Crossmax 26 (unsure of varaint)
Freshie Forumer
3 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Jun 2019 10:57 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by ZeddMTB: I was trying to inflate my bicycle tires today when I realized that my front valve cover had corroded. I tried using pliers to take it off. After putting in some elbow grease. I managed to remove the valve cover, However, It came out with the presta valve thing (I don't know the correct term). I was wondering what I would have to do to fix the issue. I was thinking of getting a new tube. Any suggestions welcome. The wheelset is a Mavic Crossmax 26 (unsure of varaint)"

This happened to me in one of my Presta tubes : the valve was leaking air and what u described sounds like you already managed to remove the core?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7XzK0p_03o
Assuming you didn't drop/lose any small parts can try to tighten it back and see if there are leaks? Suggest new tube though as locally i dun think presta cores are sold and if so with Decathlon offering tubes so cheap *and* with 2 year warranty no point also IMHO ^^ btw that loose core i told u about? it was a BTwin tube and since am a Decathlon member (FOC registration) at time of purchase, i simply cycled to one of their outlets and had a 1-for-1 exchange no questions asked and hence personally i won't buy bicycle tubes anywhere else seeing they honour their refund/exchange policy locally ^^

Regular Forumer
181 posts
Forum Rep: 30

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Jun 2019 12:51 AM    Quote and Reply

I do believe I have managed to remove the core. The issue is, due to the corrosion of the valve cap/cover, It is stuck even with the core removed. Any suggestions on how to get it separated? If not, Thanks for the quick reply!

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Jun 2019 3:36 AM    Quote and Reply

Hmm i would try apply WD-40 try to loosen it perhaps? 

Regular Forumer
181 posts
Forum Rep: 30

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Jun 2019 3:40 AM    Quote and Reply

Will try when I have time thanks for the tip.

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings