Topic: Recommendation for bike upgrades

Posted on: 29th Nov 2018 1:22 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi all,

Riding a Polygon Xtrada 5.0 (2013 model) currently, bought around end 2014. Use mostly for PCNs, pavements, a little road at most. Specs should be as below:

Polygon Xtrada 5.0 (2013)

L
ooking to make some upgrades but dont know where to start. Brakes? Gears? Wheels?

Would like to also hear reviews about 1 by 10/11; suitable for above usage? Currently on 3 by 9, was thinking of upgrading (or downgrading?) to 2 by 10/11?

Thanks in advance.
Freshie Forumer
4 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Nov 2018 8:50 AM    Quote and Reply

What is the purpose of your upgrades? Lighter bike? Smoother gear shifting? More LED lightings ;)?

Regular Forumer
84 posts
Forum Rep: 6

Riding:
Posted on: 1st Dec 2018 3:40 AM    Quote and Reply

Yes you can upgrade but the question is : without your own tools the sum of parts + labour charges would it be worth it? I also use a HT as a commuter and the easiest thing one could do to make it a better commuter is to change to tires more suited to the terrain you are tackling? A HT MTB would never be a super efficient road machine and unless it's made of carbon fiber as light as a roadie! That said the fact it can take thick pluch tires mean comfort levels are gonna be awesome? Try Schwalbe Big Apples for your bike and i guarantee it gonna make it a better commuter! Next you could swap out suspension fork for rigid?

Regular Forumer
181 posts
Forum Rep: 30

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Dec 2018 7:34 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by pinelights: Yes you can upgrade but the question is : without your own tools the sum of parts + labour charges would it be worth it? I also use a HT as a commuter and the easiest thing one could do to make it a better commuter is to change to tires more suited to the terrain you are tackling? A HT MTB would never be a super efficient road machine and unless it's made of carbon fiber as light as a roadie! That said the fact it can take thick pluch tires mean comfort levels are gonna be awesome? Try Schwalbe Big Apples for your bike and i guarantee it gonna make it a better commuter! Next you could swap out suspension fork for rigid?"

I did consider hybrid tires..

Im actually just looking to make the bike more efficient and more enjoyable to ride. Not saying the bike is not enjoyable at the moment, it is actually..just looking at ways to make it even more enjoyable..

Freshie Forumer
4 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Dec 2018 10:38 PM    Quote and Reply

change bottom bracket, hub bearings and jockey wheels to sealed ceramic types for smoother rides.

upgrade groupset only if you wish to have better shifting feel.

Regular Forumer
84 posts
Forum Rep: 6

Riding:
Posted on: 12th Dec 2018 11:36 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by dexterchua: Hi all,

Riding a Polygon Xtrada 5.0 (2013 model) currently, bought around end 2014. Use mostly for PCNs, pavements, a little road at most. Specs should be as below:

Polygon Xtrada 5.0 (2013)

L
ooking to make some upgrades but dont know where to start. Brakes? Gears? Wheels?

Would like to also hear reviews about 1 by 10/11; suitable for above usage? Currently on 3 by 9, was thinking of upgrading (or downgrading?) to 2 by 10/11?

Thanks in advance."

probably alivio or up to deore upgade may do well for the MTB, if u use for the general riding purposes. to ride efficienly - up tyre pressure abit, go spd, handbuilt wheels(components selection), folding tyres and of course frequently rides. 

Regular Forumer
1,342 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings