Topic: Which mountain bike to choose - Scotts, Specialized or Cannondale

Posted on: 14th Nov 2018 1:19 PM    Quote and Reply

Which bicyle model should I get for a mountain bike ? Im interested in a Scotts, Specialized or cannondale mtb mostly for commuting to places and trail. I just found that cannondale has moved out of Vertex. My budget is around $2500. Thanks.
Freshie Forumer
1 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 16th Nov 2018 10:48 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi,

I'm assuming that you are only looking for brand new ones.

Are you leaning towards 27.5 or 29er? 
I am using a 29er personally, tried 27.5 before. 29er vs 27.5 you can youtube the pros and cons yourself but in terms of your personal size, I would say 27.5 is for a smaller build person. I feel 27.5 is a tad too small for my liking, am 1.78cm.

For 29er price range begins around 1.9k for Marin ( The brand which you are not considering ), I believe for specialized and cannondale 29ers could be a little bit out of your reach unless you are considering very old models for these 2 brands ( 2013 etc. ). Scott is possible, not too sure with the 2019 models locally as I saw the 2.3k price range on togoparts listing from overseas company. For the specs wise, it is never worth it, probably paying more for the brand itself. A marin B17 (27.5+ / 29er ) 2k from rodalink, has way better specs with a sram nx 1x11, dropper post, 120mm travel front and rear.  Or a Polygon T7 29er about 2.4k from rodalink which only has shimano deore/XT with 1x10 drive train.

It depends you want to have a bike that is value for money in terms of spec or you are going for the brand itself.

Food for thought,
Some guage is a YT Jeffsy 29er AL with a Shimano SLX, 140mm front and rear travel retailing locally for 4.7k which in my opinion is ridiculous when I can get a Canyon Neuron 7.0 with SRAM GX Eagle 1x12, 140mm front and rear travel for 3.4k SGD inclusive of shipping and taxes from Germany but of course you do not get to try the bike.

My advise is do some homework on the different drivetrains shimano and sram has to offer and roughly understand their price range, including the fork ( whether fox or rockshox ). So you will know whether are you paying more than what you should for a bike.

If you are leaning towards 27.5 you probably have much more options, but I'm not.

Freshie Forumer
2 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 16th Nov 2018 10:56 AM    Quote and Reply

There are also Giant Trance 2 & 3 29er 2018 model (Latest is 2019) retailing locally at 2.8k & 2.4k respectively. XC bike, 100m front and rear travel. No dropper post and 1x10 drivetrain with deore/slx/xt i think. Imo is just ripping off people who don't know about specs and are buying for affordability and brand.

Freshie Forumer
2 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 21st Nov 2018 1:46 PM    Quote and Reply

Given that the trails locally aren't advanced and since u stated that the bike is also for commuting duty my feeling is that a hardtail would be the right MTB? You mentioned some usual suspect brands but why not consider Titanium frame bikes from the likes of Lynskey, Litespeed, etc as well? Your budget might allow for a combo of brand new Titanium frame and perhaps used parts? A quality frame never goes out of style no matter for road, trail or bikepacking IMHO ^^

Regular Forumer
154 posts
Forum Rep: 20

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Dec 2018 5:49 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by raincns: Which bicyle model should I get for a mountain bike ? Im interested in a Scotts, Specialized or cannondale mtb mostly for commuting to places and trail. I just found that cannondale has moved out of Vertex. My budget is around $2500. Thanks."

PCN and just some trails, you be fine on a 29er.
The 2k price range gonna be hard to find a good spec'ed bike for that though.

Never give up!!
Regular Forumer
13 posts

Posted on: 22nd Jan 2019 5:22 PM    Quote and Reply

Best value for money at 2.5K may just be the Stumpjumper ST Comp Alloy at 2.6k MSRP.

https://www.specialized.com/sg/en/mens-stumpjumper-st-27-5/p/154261?color=226097-154261

Regular Forumer
308 posts
Forum Rep: 24

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings