Togoparts.com
Log in! Login with Facebook or userID: Password:   New? Join Togoparts! Forgot your Password?
   Launch PM  You are currently browsing from United States 

States/Region/District:

City/Town:

Advertisement
Forums  >  Bike Talk  >  Off-Road - MTB, XC, Trial, All MT, Downhill, Freeride Bikes
Topic: buying a bike for a big, tall, newbie rider
Posted on: 7th Mar 2013 10:24 PM    Quote and Reply

hey!

I'm 1.88m and ~100+kg. I am looking for a bicycle to ride for commuting, leisure and fitness.

Currently, I am using an Andes Downhill (not really much of a brand) which I bought from craigslist for $170. I probably spent about 60-70 bucks maintaining it for the past ~2 years and it is wearing out again.

I am looking to buy a hybrid, with at least a front suspension.

A couple of problems I need advice on.

1. Sizing. I put in my details into this calculator. Some online resources recommend  20" frame, which I couldn't find in the stores in my immediate neighbourhood. However,  other said, one can make do with a smaller frame. I understand that finally, one needs to try out the cycling, which is sensible advice, but this leads me to the second point.

2. Second vs First hand. I saw some pretty good 2nd hand deals at the marketplace, but realised that they are slightly smaller than ideal. However, they feature some good brands at affordable prices.

however.

3. I realised that overtime, a bicycle is bound to need some servicing and parts replacement. I am wondering if the higher cost of a first hand bike will even out over a few years in terms of warranty and servicing costs. 

Can someone advise?

Cheers
CSJ 
csjoshi

7th Mar 2013
Total Forum Rep: 0
Posted on: 7th Mar 2013 11:00 PM   Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by csjoshi: hey!

I'm 1.88m and ~100+kg. I am looking for a bicycle to ride for commuting, leisure and fitness.

Currently, I am using an Andes Downhill (not really much of a brand) which I bought from craigslist for $170. I probably spent about 60-70 bucks maintaining it for the past ~2 years and it is wearing out again.

I am looking to buy a hybrid, with at least a front suspension.

A couple of problems I need advice on.

1. Sizing. I put in my details into this calculator. Some online resources recommend  20" frame, which I couldn't find in the stores in my immediate neighbourhood. However,  other said, one can make do with a smaller frame. I understand that finally, one needs to try out the cycling, which is sensible advice, but this leads me to the second point.

2. Second vs First hand. I saw some pretty good 2nd hand deals at the marketplace, but realised that they are slightly smaller than ideal. However, they feature some good brands at affordable prices.

however.

3. I realised that overtime, a bicycle is bound to need some servicing and parts replacement. I am wondering if the higher cost of a first hand bike will even out over a few years in terms of warranty and servicing costs. 

Can someone advise?

Cheers
CSJ "

I believe with your built, a gentleman bicycle would be value for money. However its usually single speed only.

rbc1891

9th Apr 2009
Total Forum Rep: 19
Posted on: 7th Mar 2013 11:21 PM   Quote and Reply

Treknology Bikes @ Jln Bt Merah. got quite a few of 20inch size bike frames. Good luck. As for price gonna break your budget and gonna pay a premium. gonna check with them the rates.

kona-bros Portrait Uploaded
4th Oct 2007
Posted on: 8th Mar 2013 8:41 AM   Quote and Reply

CHEAP JOHN @ Sembawang may be yr place to look- wide range and value for $.
Sures or Sony, both great help will advise... 

jono Portrait Uploaded
2nd Jan 2009
Posted on: 8th Mar 2013 8:54 AM   Quote and Reply

Thanks for the advice. I'll go down and take a look personally and post an update

csjoshi

7th Mar 2013
Posted on: 8th Mar 2013 5:13 PM   Quote and Reply

Went to check out two shops.

A guy at MyBikeShop showed me a foldable Tern 09 for $1300, it seemed smooth. compact and able to accomodate my weight. Unfortunately, it is too expensive for my budget.

I went over to Treknology at Bt Merah and the guy showed me a 8.2 DS for $685. It does not come with anything except front and back reflectors. It is sized well for me and comes with a 1 year warranty + lifetime servicing at the shop. The accessories (lights, pump, helmet, bottle holder+ kick stand) cost almost 200 and the pannier + rack cost 240. I don't intend to buy the pannier just yet.

Does that seem like a reasonable deal for a newbie?

csjoshi

7th Mar 2013
Posted on: 8th Mar 2013 11:10 PM   Quote and Reply

Life time free servicing? That's a good deal. You should also consider disc brake. Better stopping power. 

Try Hup Leong and Kian Hong cycle they carry Large and Extra Large bikes. 

What sort of serving did you do? 

Goggles

15th Nov 2012
Posted on: 8th Mar 2013 11:18 PM   Quote and Reply

By servicing, I take it they mean derailler tuning and brake tuning if mechanical? While its good to have to never pay for these services, you can learn them quickly from video tutorials. 

I'm just here to tone my belly
Stiffler Portrait Uploaded
15th Jun 2012
Posted on: 12th Mar 2013 9:55 AM   Quote and Reply

I checked out the Rodalink store. Wasn't too impressed, they didn't have hybrids with suspension.

I went to Hup Leong at Chin Swee Rd who offered me a Merida Cross Way (I forgot the model number) with some simple accessories for S$630. I'm having a hard time chosing between Trek and HL. The store owner at HL seemed a lot more experienced and ... nicer than the other guy. What do you advise?

csjoshi

7th Mar 2013
Posted on: 12th Mar 2013 12:00 PM   Quote and Reply

You can get a 27 speed bicycle for under $600 with front suspension and disc brakes at rodalink (bolinas ridge). All there needs to be done is switch out for slick tyres. You have more of a choice if you look at hardtail mtb and then spend a little extra to change the tyres. 

I'm just here to tone my belly
Stiffler Portrait Uploaded
15th Jun 2012
Posted on: 15th Mar 2013 4:46 PM   Quote and Reply

Hey guys.

Thanks for the advice so far.

I checked out two Rodalink outlets and the situation seems to be similar.

The hybrids either do not have front suspension, or they do not have a large enough frame for me.

The mountain bikes either do not have an appropriate size of frame or are too expensive.

I think I will stick to the offer from HL, seems like a good balance of the stuff that I want. 

csjoshi

7th Mar 2013
Next 1 2 Last Reply
Post a Reply
Forum Etiquette & Rules . Report Abuse
Go to:
Togoparts.com is the number one bicycle portal in Singapore featuring classifieds marketplace for buying and selling Mountain Bikes, MTB, Road Bikes, Tri Bikes, Time Trial Bikes, Folding Bikes, Recumbent Bikes, Singlespeed Bikes, Tandem Bikes. Find useful bike products and services information like Suspensions Forks, Wheels, Frames, Brakes, Handlebars, Pedals, Stems, Seatposts, Jerseys and Accessories. Read consumer reviews, in-depth bike product reviews and event coverages.
Copyright© 2001-2014 Togoparts.com
All Rights Reserved.