Topic: Novatec Hubs: any experience with them?

Posted on: 27th Nov 2012 11:19 PM    Quote and Reply

i'm pretty sure quite a number of riders here have owned or ridden on novatec hubs before. a few online reviews have compared them to knock offs of hope pro 2's, but the reviews are usually mixed when it comes to durability and performance. i am currently stuck between deciding on a set of hope pro 2's and novatec d042s. the obvious answer is definitely going to be the pros, but given that novatecs cost less than half their price, and match up in terms of looks, do they live up to their name? it would be great if some of you could help me out here: how do they differ in terms of smoothness, abuse tolerance, freehub sound and etc?
Regular Forumer
74 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 28th Nov 2012 12:54 PM    Quote and Reply

Avoid Novatec hubs if you can.  They are cheap stuff though they look expensive.  The bearings are not as smooth as branded hubs.  Pay more and get the Hope hubs.

Regular Forumer
197 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Nov 2012 1:36 PM    Quote and Reply

Novatec builds hubs for many other brands too.
Their range of hubs cover both low end spectrum and mid end ones. 

Novatec hubs are actually quite reliable.

yes due to costs, they do not come with the higher end bearings as standard.
but they do offer very good value package.

Not the greatest in engagement (20poe) but not drastically low either , hope sports 24 poe.

Regular Forumer
63 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 28th Nov 2012 2:39 PM    Quote and Reply

If you think Hopes will bring you hapiness then go for hopes. Don't spend on substitutes. It's cheaper that way. Not saying that novas are bad btw. I used a set of novatecs with no issues till I sold off the bike 5yrs later.

Regular Forumer
468 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 1st Dec 2012 2:06 PM    Quote and Reply

im one of the owners of a novatec hub.  am using the  Novatec D041/042SB. with alex dp-20.

i dunno where you got your reviews that it's like hope pro. I find its nowhere near.colours are nice but the sound isnt as loud. i've done jumps and it's still holding. in fact .. i'm considering getting another wheelset with these hubs.

if you've the cash, go for the hope pro, or chosen hubs. chosen's much closer to hope i guess

Freshie Forumer
4 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Apr 2015 1:57 PM    Quote and Reply

Old thread... I have the Novatec 041/042SB on Alex DP20. I bought this because the wheels are consumables as I had several gave up over past 2 years. This set holds well and pretty tough. Maybe not for racing, but reliability is pretty good. This set is still selling well world wide. They are very cheap and pretty good.

Regular Forumer
26 posts

Singapore
Riding:
2) KHS XC
Posted on: 25th Apr 2015 1:01 PM    Quote and Reply

ya, its more inferior, pay more and get hope

Regular Forumer
872 posts
Forum Rep: 101

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 29th Aug 2015 4:39 AM    Quote and Reply

You get what you pay for with Novatecs. With Hope hubs, you're getting bang for the buck. If you're on a budget, Novatecs are more than adequate. Hub failure is a very uncommon thing to come across.

Freshie Forumer
9 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 29th Aug 2015 2:13 PM    Quote and Reply

i heard its not as reliable as hope. but if u dont do trails or hard urban bashing, then it should be ok

Regular Forumer
872 posts
Forum Rep: 101

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 30th Aug 2015 4:11 PM    Quote and Reply

My last set of wheels with Novatec D041 and D042 hubs have lasted 8 years before I sold my old bike. The hub were still working well.

Novatec hubs may noit have the bling factor, but are generally reliable and well-built for their prices. D042 rear hub has very robust construction as its axle and freehub body are made of chromoly steel, but comes stock with average-quality bearings. To bring out the full performance and durability of D042 rear hub, you will need to replace the bearings with equivalent models from FAG or SKF (6902-2RS) and re-grease the freehub body once a year.

D042 is not as light as hope. However, with proper manitenance, it will serve you well and perform reliably for many years of riding.  

Senior Forumer
52 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 10th Mar 2019 7:07 PM    Quote and Reply

Where you guys bought your novatec hub in Singapore? 

Freshie Forumer
2 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings