Log in! Login with Facebook or userID: Password:   New? Join Togoparts! Forgot your Password?
   Launch PM  You are currently browsing from United States 

States/Region/District:

City/Town:

Advertisement
Forums  >  Bike Talk  >  Off-Road - MTB, XC, Trial, All MT, Downhill, Freeride Bikes
Topic: Trek Mountain Bike Recommendations
Posted on: 25th Apr 2006 9:22 PM    Quote and Reply

I'm considering picking up mountainbiking again but have been out of the market for a couple of years. Anyone has any experiences with Trek mountain bikes, both HT and FS? I've been riding carbon on the road for a while now but I'm not sure which way to go with mountain bikes. Anyway, let's assume

1) Pricing with respect to the different models is an issue, but not a huge huge deal

2)  It has to be a Trek

3) I might race eventually

4) I don't weigh a whole lot (between 60-65kg)

5) Probably nothing less than Deore

Thanks. 

Road cycling, track cycling, Little 500, JC, movies, cooking, coffee, reading
ego_diver Portrait Uploaded
8th Aug 2001
Total Forum Rep: 0
Riding:
1) Trek Madone 5.2...
Posted on: 25th Apr 2006 9:23 PM   Quote and Reply

By the way, the purpose is for XC riding.

8th Aug 2001
Riding:
1) Trek Madone 5.2...
Posted on: 25th Apr 2006 9:31 PM   Quote and Reply

A Trek Fuel 70 or 80 might interest you.

Whoever doesn't ride for the love and fun of it, shouldn't.
ScottScale Portrait Uploaded
9th Dec 2005
Posted on: 26th Apr 2006 12:19 AM   Quote and Reply

Um, why does it HAVE to be a Trek?

sehsuan Portrait Uploaded
'ShutterBugger'
15th Apr 2002
Riding:
1) Kinesis KM-2
2) Blue RC4-Al
Posted on: 26th Apr 2006 1:00 AM   Quote and Reply

Check out the trek 8500 or 6700.

Hanz525

13th Jan 2005
Posted on: 26th Apr 2006 8:08 AM   Quote and Reply

I would NOT recommend trek over other equally competent brands.

silentmusic

8th Dec 2001
Posted on: 26th Apr 2006 11:49 AM   Quote and Reply

Thanks for the heads up so far.

silenmusic - what is your rationale for not recommending a trek over other equally competant brands?

Anyway, regardless why, I am still looking specifically at Trek bikes, for my own personal reason.

Anyone has experiences with OCLV or carbon mountain bikes? Any issues with durability? I love my oclv road bike but I'm not too sure how the material fairs on the rougher trails.

8th Aug 2001
Riding:
1) Trek Madone 5.2...
Posted on: 26th Apr 2006 12:16 PM   Quote and Reply

What's the big deal about trek? yes really, why? note: I am not saying don't buy, but asking why. Is it proven to be better than the others? how is it better?

If you take a trek frame, GT frame, Jamis, Voodoo, etc..... Now strip the paint from all of them, leaving bare metal only, no logos, nothing. Can you say which is the trek? They look the same, it's the same aluminium. Is trek aluminium different front the others? maybe the trek frame glows in the dark!

Bottom line, everyone's choice is personal. It is useful to hear how a decision is arrived at. Can you give us a clue to your 'personal reasons'? 

silentmusic

8th Dec 2001
Posted on: 28th Apr 2006 4:48 AM   Quote and Reply

silentmusic, thanks for your very loaded reply.

My reason for going Trek is over brand loyalty. They have treated my team and me well, and the least I could do is to support them. In situations where teams are somewhat sponsored, but not given a full ride the way pro teams are, that's the least we could do. If you would want further information, I would recommend picking up the latest issue of Bicycling magazine (June). I'm told there's a 13 page article of the boys I am riding for.

Other than that, let's move on with the topic: Your Trek Mountain Bike experiences, especially with OCLV.

8th Aug 2001
Riding:
1) Trek Madone 5.2...
Posted on: 28th Apr 2006 11:31 AM   Quote and Reply

ego_diver, I feel that trek makes solid, if abit boring mountain bikes (especially the XC ones). However, in singapore the price of trek isn't competitive at all when compared with brands like GT, Jamis, Wheeler etc, if you compare aluminum frames. If you look up and compare prices of brands between US and Singapore (e.g Jamis US price vs Jamis Singapore price compare to Trek US price vs Trek Singapore price), you might have a better understanding why not many people choose trek here in Singapore.

As for the OCLV, it has been around since the mid 90s, so I'll say the carbon technology is proven. There shouldn't be any problem as long you are using the frame for its designed purpose.

Tiny
'Light Freak'

Riding:
1) Titus Racer-X
Posted on: 28th Apr 2006 12:30 PM   Quote and Reply

Tiny: I totally understand the issue with Trek in Singapore, which is why I own a Kona from back in the day. Unfortunately, the bike 1) had its day 2) is too heavy to race on 3) has a high head tube length 4) half a world away.

8th Aug 2001
Riding:
1) Trek Madone 5.2...
Next 1 2 Last Reply
Post a Reply
Forum Etiquette & Rules . Report Abuse
Go to:
Togoparts.com is the number one bicycle portal in Singapore featuring classifieds marketplace for buying and selling Mountain Bikes, MTB, Road Bikes, Tri Bikes, Time Trial Bikes, Folding Bikes, Recumbent Bikes, Singlespeed Bikes, Tandem Bikes. Find useful bike products and services information like Suspensions Forks, Wheels, Frames, Brakes, Handlebars, Pedals, Stems, Seatposts, Jerseys and Accessories. Read consumer reviews, in-depth bike product reviews and event coverages.
Copyright© 2001-2014 Togoparts.com
All Rights Reserved.