Subject: Japan biking trip: 20 Aug - 3 Sep

About Malaysian and Overseas Rides Forum:
Ride hook-ups meeting and riding in Malaysia and other countries outside of Singapore..
Ride hook-ups meeting and riding in Malaysia and other countries outside of Singapore..
You are not logged-in, Please Login

Japan biking trip: 20 Aug - 3 Sep

Posted on: 7th Jul 2013 4:10 PM    Quote and Reply

My trips were about 10 and 13 days respectively. First trip started from Kushiro anticlockwise around the eastern parts ending in Furano. Second trip started from Obihiro cutting across the central regions until Wakkanai, broken in the middle to hike across Kurodake to Asahidake. 

Actually you'll find the climbs and distances between villages quite manageable. Accomodation is reasonable and wild camping is tolerated if you are considerate/respectful. Onsens/sentos and vending machines are plentiful so even if one wild camps, one won't look like a tramp. The highlights were often serrendipitous, like discovering a 5star onsen in what I'd thought was a forsaken town, complete with an rotenburo overlooking the hamlet of Kiritappu; and waking up to the magical sight of the cape covered in morning mist.

Just do it. Considering August weather, between tokyo/osaka and hokkaido, it's a no-brainer. :-)

Regular Forumer
27 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Jul 2013 4:03 PM    Quote and Reply

Oh yes! I would love to do a bike tour in Hokkaido. Did a driving holiday in Hokkaido 3 years ago during autumn. And fell in love with Hokkaido. 

But I don't think I am ready for a Hokkaido bike trip yet, as the climbs, distance between towns/ civilisation and the crosswind all are quite daunting. All these are made even hairier by the possibility that I will most likely do it alone.... However, I think it will be really an experience to bike from Hakodate to Wakkanai and see the real Ainu dwellings and lifestyle.

You have any stories to share about your Hokkaido bike trip? How long was it, and which towns did you go to?

Regular Forumer
70 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd Jul 2013 10:42 AM    Quote and Reply

I'd like to heartily recommend doing a tour in Hokkaido for short tours. Amazing folks, beautiful views, nice climate in summer while the rest of japan roast in heat. You are never too far from civilization in Japan but camping in Hokkaido is so stressless and fun. Been twice, still looking forward to more. :-)

Regular Forumer
27 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Jun 2013 5:17 PM    Quote and Reply

Hahahaha!

I think those "bring your own bike" guided tours with support vehicles could be what you are looking for. Do a search online and you will find plentiful of such organisers. Bringing your own bike and checking in at the airline counter isn't that troublesome really... 

Regular Forumer
70 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Jun 2013 5:13 PM    Quote and Reply

Use own bike more fun leh...lol...

Freshie Forumer
4 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Jun 2013 10:12 AM        

Just sending out feeler if anyone is keen to do a Japan biking trip. Will either start off from Yokohama or Nagoya. 
ssuperzonic Portrait Uploaded
12th Sep 2007
Show earlier posts
Login to see your Forum Rankings