Subject: Endau Rompin bike packing?

About Malaysian and Overseas Rides Forum:
Ride hook-ups meeting and riding in Malaysia and other countries outside of Singapore..
Ride hook-ups meeting and riding in Malaysia and other countries outside of Singapore..
You are not logged-in, Please Login

Endau Rompin bike packing?

Posted on: 16th May 2013 12:41 PM    Quote and Reply

Is it a river or a lake? crossing a lake should be OK
I haven't tried that kind of thing on rivers (except for a couple of goes canoing - not packrafting), but we used really cheap inflatable dingies years ago to cross a couple of lochs at narrows on the West coast of scotland on a 4 day MTB trip from Fort William to Skye mainly to avoid massive detours round them - the plan was that if the weather crapped out we had planned escape routes back to roads so we were not committed to the crossings in high winds.
Personally I would do recce trip before taking on any river and talk to the guides there, unless you have got a pretty good account and map of the river and know where there are waterfalls / rapids, sections, shallows that require portage etc and on it's condition in varying water conditions (flood, surges could be a major issue). This is especially important in  hills / mtns  and jungle it may be nigh on impossible to get off the river to portage round obstacles until its too late...Are you are an experienced Kayaker? you should be OK - I would certainly want to try out your raft on lakes or very easy rivers prior to taking on unkown mountain rivers.
FYI river grades go from Grade I to VI and in mountains this can vary based upon water levels - stuff that is Grd II in low water can become VI in flood etc. If you look at the storm drains in SG they are about grd 0.5 during a massive downpour

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 16th May 2013 11:51 AM    Quote and Reply

So...missed out on Endau last year, but determined to make it happen this year, but am thinking taking an alpacka pack raft and hiking up the river a few days, then rafting back out...anyone done this before?

Regular Forumer
1,361 posts
Forum Rep: 11

Singapore
Posted on: 20th Nov 2012 12:38 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by kmax:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by Meowfifa: Rain coat is important.....

Rain there are especially cold.....

My balls shrink from the cold."

then use plastic bag to wrap them prior to the ride."

But please do not use cable tie(s) 

Regular Forumer
6,165 posts
Forum Rep: 40

Singapore
Posted on: 20th Nov 2012 10:24 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Meowfifa: Rain coat is important.....

My balls shrink from the cold."

then use plastic bag to wrap them prior to the ride.

Regular Forumer
361 posts
Forum Rep: 5

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 20th Nov 2012 1:22 AM    Quote and Reply

Rain coat is important.....

My balls shrink from the cold.

Regular Forumer
1,293 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 5th Mar 2012 11:53 AM        

Anyone ridden in Endau Rompin? Kinda looks like a trekking only place, but bet there are some cool trails in there. I am thinking of driving to Selai, then cycling in to the park on the 4 wheel drive tracks. Anyone done it before? Can you free camp? I have a camping hammock and was thinking I could just set up where ever for the night then cycle out the next day, but looks like you have to do the organized trips, which I am not really interested in? Curious to hear what others have got up too in Endau, as the waterfalls look lovely!
motomuppet
17th Jun 2008
Show earlier posts
Login to see your Forum Rankings