Subject: assembling of bicycle

About Chit Chat, Talk Kok, Sing a Song Forum:
A place for like-minded togoparts folks to hangout. Everything under the sun goes here. Think of it as a bar!
You are not logged-in, Please Login

assembling of bicycle

Posted on: 17th Mar 2016 11:25 AM    Quote and Reply

Yeah that's the spirit! :)

If your Liv/Giant bike is coming factory-packed in the box, it's likely that you won't need the really special tools for bottom bracket or cassette, etc.

Likely you'll need:
1) a set of allen keys.
- suggest to buy a slightly more reputable brand with ball-ends. Useful and lasts a long time. Estimate $20+ for a set up to 10mm

2) Flat ("-") and Philips ("+") screwdrivers - few $

3) 15mm spanner - $2 from Daiso

4) long-nosed pliers - few $

5) a work-stand to lift the rear wheel off the ground and allow you to turn the crank whilst the bike is stationary

=============================

Probably you'll need to:
1) Align the handlebar and stem
2) Install the rear derailleur
3) Install the wheels
4) Install the chain
5) Install the pedals
6) Index your gears

Regular Forumer
286 posts
Forum Rep: 34

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 16th Mar 2016 2:47 PM    Quote and Reply

You know. ..I might just give that a try! As you said, this might let me get to know the bike better. 

Freshie Forumer
4 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 16th Mar 2016 2:37 PM    Quote and Reply

there are tons of youtube videos on how to assemble everything on a bicycle from bar tape till entire groupsets. I watch this channel called "Global Cycling Network" or "GCN" for short. 

depending on the level of disassembly of your bike, the tools required will vary depending on the job at hand. most tasks would require allen keys so its good to have a set of allen keys/multi tool and typically everyone would have a complete allen key set so nothing special required here.

Phillips, straight head screw drivers and adjustable wrench are also good to have. Once again, typical tools at home. With all these tools, you can handle just about any task. 

Issues would arise when you want to change things like bottom bracket, cassette which require special toolings to do the job but once again, it would not cost alot.   

My advice, get a toolset (with a whole bunch of tools for bicycles) at probably around $60 at most from decathlon or something and do the assembly yourself. You will learn more about your bike as well as get a sense of accomplishment from building up your bike. In the event you need to do some replacement/maintainence, it not wise to keep going back to LBS just to do it. Not worth the money unless its not as issue for you. haha.

Cheers!

Regular Forumer
25 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 16th Mar 2016 10:18 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by JulianDermawan: Hi everyone. Newbie here. I want to ship a bicycle from the UK. As I understand it, it will not be shipped fully assembled. I would have to find someone to fix the handlebar, the wheels and the gears.
Can I know if anyone here who knows anyone who can assemble the bike? It's a Liv Thrive Comax 2."

It's really not too difficult to assembleI've got the tools and I have done in on a few occasions, when packing my bike for overseas travel.

Which part of Singapore do you stay?

Regular Forumer
286 posts
Forum Rep: 34

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 16th Mar 2016 10:02 AM    Quote and Reply

OK thanks. Not too expensive then. 

Freshie Forumer
4 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 15th Mar 2016 7:18 PM        

Hi everyone. Newbie here. I want to ship a bicycle from the UK. As I understand it, it will not be shipped fully assembled. I would have to find someone to fix the handlebar, the wheels and the gears.
Can I know if anyone here who knows anyone who can assemble the bike? It's a Liv Thrive Comax 2.
JulianDermawan
3rd Mar 2016
Show earlier posts
Login to see your Forum Rankings