Subject: Need some advice for first road bike

About Road - Road, Triathlon, TT, Cyclocross Bikes Forum:
Road Bikes - TT, Cyclo-Cross, Tri, Racers, Di2s, 700cc, Carbon wheels and drop-bars. Here's where you can talk about all things Road Bikes & Parts
You are not logged-in, Please Login

Need some advice for first road bike

Posted on: 19th Sep 2016 6:00 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi frozzberg
Did U tested the latest Scultura 400?
How was it?

Freshie Forumer
5 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 13th Aug 2016 4:38 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by CJL98:
I've considered that before, however I'm not a big fan of its paint job tbh :P it's a carbon frame but doesn't give me the vibes that the alu tcr and caad 10 does!  

Hey, if you are ever able to test ride the merida scultura 400 can you help compare the ride to the CAAD10 and Giant tcr SLR ? would really appreciate it"

Hi I might go down to test the Merida soon, will update you when Ive done it. I test rided the CAAD 10 and CAAD 12 today, the CAAD 12 was just a tad "smoother" to ride, but 95% both felt the same to me. But dont take my words for it though, Im not experienced and the best is for yourself to test it out. Tay cycle unfortunately does not allow test rides, so i cant compare them ):

Regular Forumer
14 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 13th Aug 2016 12:18 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi all, I thought I'd chime in as I faced a similar dilemma with the TS.

I was looking for a first road bike with a budget of about $1.5k.

I went to Tay Cycle, and the boss there suggested a Giant Defy 1, with 105 components, for $1.8k. I loved the look of the frame, but they did not allow test rides so I did not seriously consider buying the bike. 

I tried a Polygon C5 with 105 groupset going for $1599 and a Trek Emonda ALR 4 (Tiagra) going for $1.7k. In the end, I decided on the Trek even though it had the lower componentry spec as the bike felt much better to ride. It felt lighter and stiffer and the geometry was more comfortable. Even though on paper the Polygon was better value for money, the test ride really helped me come to a decision.

Freshie Forumer
2 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 12th Aug 2016 11:07 PM    Quote and Reply

I've considered that before, however I'm not a big fan of its paint job tbh :P it's a carbon frame but doesn't give me the vibes that the alu tcr and caad 10 does!  

Hey, if you are ever able to test ride the merida scultura 400 can you help compare the ride to the CAAD10 and Giant tcr SLR ? would really appreciate it

Freshie Forumer
3 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 12th Aug 2016 8:10 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by CJL98: The Giant tcr SLR2 is aluminium right? Why aren't you not considering the TCR advance 3? the price is 1.8k if i am not wrong and it is a carbon road bike as compared to the SLR which is aluminium."

Regular Forumer
14 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 6th Aug 2016 4:54 PM        

Hi guys,

Im looking to get into road cycling and am currently torn between a few matters.

I have a budget between 1-2k, of course the lesser the better.

Im considering between

1) Giant TCR 1 (Tiagra) - 1.25k
2) Giant Propel SLR 2 (105) - 1.8k
3) Polygon Helios C4 (Tiagra) - 1.2k

I understand these bikes have different geometries and have personally tried the fit on all three frames and feel fine in all 3, however im not sure what are my requirements or needs and whether I would contemplate upgrading to other bikes in future. Could anyone advise me on any pointers or other models i could consider?

Im not really particular about the brands too.

Thank you all for your help!

frozzberg
20th Jul 2016
Show earlier posts
Login to see your Forum Rankings